TN Visa to Live and Work in the USA

The TN Visa was created by NAFTA to facilitate special economic and trade relationships between the United States and Canada.

The TN nonimmigrant classification permits qualified Canadian citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level. Initial stay is up to 3-years, with the ability to request an extension.

Canadian Citizens are generally eligible for admission as nonimmigrants without a visa. The TN category, a nonimmigrant classification, simply reflects this general exemption from the visa requirement. NAFTA governs which evidence is required to prove whether a Canadian citizen is a professional in a qualifying professional.

Canadian Citizens are not required to apply for a TN visa at US consulate. You may establish eligibility for TN classification at the time you seek admission to the United States by presenting required documentation to a US Customs and Border Protection officer at certain CBP-designated US ports of entry or at a designated pre- clearance/pre-flight inspection station.

Requirements to qualify for the TN visa:

  • You are a citizen of Canada.
  • Your profession qualifies under the regulations.
  • The position in the United States requires a NAFTA Professional.
  • You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a US employer.
  • You have the qualifications to practice the profession.

Must have the following documentation for the CBP officer:

  • Proof of Canadian Citizenship.
  • Letter from your prospective employer detailing items such as the professional capacity in which you will work in the United States, the purpose of your employment, the length of your stay, and your educational qualifications.
  • Credentials evaluation (if applicable), together with any applicable fees.